Monday, January 16, 2012

Research, revolutionized

I'm deep into research for my latest Capstone assignment about earthquakes. I continue to be amazed at how technology makes research easier and easier each year.

Today I'm researching information about the March 11, 2011 Japan earthquake/tsunami. I like to use books as my primary sources for these Capstone assignments. I still view edited books as having the most reliable information, though I obviously use vetted government and education Web sites as well.

Up until a year or so ago, it would have been difficult to find books about events that happened only in the previous few months. But I went on Amazon.com today and found a couple of books about the Japan quake that have been published by traditional publishers. However, better than that, now there's a few Kindle books that were published after the quake. The quality of these may not all be fantastic, but I found a couple of first-person accounts that are promising. Before the advent of e-books, these authors could have put their thoughts and writings on the Web. But for me to find that information would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. On Amazon, these Kindle books show up with all the other books about the quake. And in about 10 seconds, I can have the book on my iPhone, whereas I had to submit an interlibrary loan request for the hard-copy books.

What do you like best about e-books?

No comments: