Thursday, April 1, 2010

Guess who's "writing" a memoir?

About once a week, I roll my eyes after reading the latest memoir deals on Publisher's Marketplace. I often find myself asking people, "Guess who's writing a memoir?" I think it could become some sort of parlor game. Yes! Match the blurb with the "author"--I think I'm on to something!

I will update this blog regularly (probably once a week, seriously) to list people who are able to secure book deals based on their celebrity (or usually, quasi-celebrity) alone.

Here are a few from the past couple of weeks, with the Publisher's Marketplace blurb:

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints quarterback (two-book deal): "chronicling his journey from a shoulder injury that almost ended his career in 2005 through the Saints come-from-behind victory in the Super Bowl, including a look back at Brees' childhood and his years at Purdue, also highlighting the rebuilding efforts in New Orleans of the Brees Dream Foundation"


Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints coach: "detailing the Saints' remarkable season and how it lifted the entire city, including intimate stories about the players and coaches who were key to the team's success, and paying tribute to the everyday local heroes he met along the way"

Duff McKagan, Guns 'N Roses bassist: "a story of an ordinary guy who met with extraordinary circumstances, and the circumnavigation through these situations."

2 comments:

Kara B said...

Drew Brees, a TWO-BOOK deal? Not just one, but two books? How is that possible? Must have been one really complicated shoulder injury...

And I LOVE the idea of a parlor game out of this. Or a sort of stand-up routine at a writer's conference.

Rachael Hanel said...

Yes, in-depth description of shoulder injury in two parts! I'm glad you saw this post--I wanted to tell you about it last night. Keep watching for future updates!

Stand-up routine--that's a great idea!