Tuesday, June 30, 2009

career vs. job

Doing some thinking about career vs. job. I think there's a big difference, and I'm trying to articulate it in one of my chapters. Any thoughts?

I think a career is something that you love to do, that your very being and identity is tied up with it. I love what I do, so I see myself as having a career as a teacher and writer. I also think a career draws upon people's talents and skills. A career is more of a luxury than a job. I feel privileged to be able to have a career rather than a job.

A job, I think, is something that pays the bills and helps you live for the time you're not at work. You live for the weekend, your days off, evenings (or days, if you have a night job), when you work a job. Not that I wish to work all the time, and I certainly enjoy my time off, but at least when I am working I don't detest it and actually enjoy it for the most part. If bills have to be paid, then I'm glad to be doing what I do.

I don't think education/intellect has anything to do with it. I know some very well-educated people who have "jobs."

No comments: