Thursday, May 22, 2008

Commuting by bicycle

Whoo-hoo! I commuted into Mankato by bicycle for the first time. I don't know what took me so long. It turned out to be surprisingly easy. It's only 12 miles to MSU; it took me about 50 minutes. By car it's at least 15 miles and takes me 20 minutes. When driving, from house to the moment I walk into my MSU office, it takes 30 minutes. By bike I can drive right to my building. So it's only taking me another 20 minutes to bike (but factor in 5-10 minutes to clean up, change clothes, etc.).

My goal is to do this at least once a week. I really want to continue it into the fall semester when I start teaching. It might get a little more complicated in taking a change of clothes, having papers/books, not wanting to look like crap, etc. But I think with some advanced planning I can do it.

So I saved 25 miles on my car today, 25 miles of gas. Yay!

No comments: