Monday, March 22, 2010

Screenplay by Syd Field

I just finished SCREENPLAY by Syd Field and I'm brimming with ideas for how to shape my story. Comments from several helpful agents (so, so pleased with those who took the time to comment!) were starting to sound the same: strong writing, distinct voice, but no real narrative arc to draw it all together. It hit me one day that I should seek information on the three-act structure. I really think this might be the form that works. Of course, I'm not going to adhere to it rigidly, but I think the basic ideas might apply. I can fit the story into an Act I, Act II, and Act III, and I have the all-important plot points. I'm actually excited to revise--who would have thought?

2 comments:

Downright Fiction said...

Hi there,

would you be interested in writing for us?

Check out our web page:

http://downrightfiction.blogspot.com

Thanks for your time!

Kara B said...

STORY by Robert McKee (another screenwriting book) is also excellent. Good luck! :)