Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Where Men Win Glory

Date: Saturday, Sept. 12
Place: Mankato Barnes and Noble

Me: "Is the new Jon Krakauer book in?"
Tim: "I don't think so. We should be getting quite a few in, but I haven't seen anything. Let me look."
Tim looks on the computer.
Tim: "It's out on Tuesday, otherwise known as 'Dan Brown Day.'

So today, on "Dan Brown Day," I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up WHERE MEN WIN GLORY, Krakauer's book on Pat Tillman. I generally devour anything that Krakauer writes. I have only read the prologue so far, but I'm hooked. I shake my head in wonder as to how Krakauer can take a generally complicated subject and word it in a way that I understand. His account of the "friendly" fire attack that took Tillman's life is journalistic, yes, but also includes beautiful turns of the phrase.

For example: "Up there on the heights, far above the gloom of the valley floor, the otherwise barren slopes were dotted with graceful Chilgoza pines still washed with sunlight, their silver bark and viridescent needles glowing in the fleeting rays."

It's writing such as this that sets Krakauer above the mere journalistic.

The New York Times critic didn't like the book very much. But Krakauer is my new Stephen King. Both have proven themselves, and as a result, perhaps editors are afraid to tinker too much with their manuscripts. This is a rare case in which I don't care about overinflated and lengthy tracts. If someone is going to overwrite, I'll read them if they can a) write a fantastic story (like King) or b) use words in the way that Krakauer uses words. In those two cases, all is forgiven.

No comments: