Friday, September 11, 2009

Doctor-imposed rest means writing time

The bad news: I crashed in a major way on my bicycle on Labor Day. Hit the pavement going about 18 mph. I went to the hospital to get checked out, and I found out I managed to pop a hole in my lung. The hole repaired itself almost immediately, but I was left with some air around my left lung. I was hospitalized overnight -- my first ever hospital stay! I was hoping to hold off as long as possible. I got to go home the next morning, but that air won't totally disappear for about another week. In the meantime, I can't exert myself. For someone who exercises 6-8 hours a week, this is incredibly hard.

My plan for Sept. 12 was a century bike ride with my hubby and friends. I'm so disappointed I won't be able to do it. I didn't cry when I crashed, or after (I think I have a high pain tolerance!), but not being able to do what I want is what makes me want to cry.

The good news: Not exercising 6-8 hours a week frees up some writing time! I plan to spend a few luxurious hours on Saturday working on the memoir. I work full-time (usually more so), so my free time has to be split between exercise and writing. As bad as this is for a writer to say, I put priority on exercise. Feeling good and healthy just makes the rest of my life run more smoothly. As happy as I am while I'm writing, I could not be a happy writer if I felt fat and lethargic.

No comments: