Monday, August 10, 2009

No more Grand Prix bicycle race in Mankato

I was quite upset to learn that Mankato will not be hosting a stage of the Nature Valley Grand Prix bicycle race next June. It's unclear exactly who is responsible, but I think both the city and Greater Mankato Growth are to blame. The bicycle race does not bring in enough money to justify the cost ($7,300 for the city). Please. If the city really wanted the stage here, you can be sure they would have found a way to make it happen. So I submitted this letter to The Free Press:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am saddened to see how little support the Nature Valley Grand Prix bicycle race stage has received from the powers-that-be in Mankato.

I’ve gone to this stage for several years and what I like most about it is the number of parents who watched the race with their kids. For both children and adults, this stage was the only time they could see for themselves one of the most underappreciated, yet tactically brilliant, professional sports. I can’t help but to think what great role models these bicycle racers are. Through them, children can see the results of healthy living and determination. The fact that the stage featured female racers, too, was a great boost to young girls. I saw the flood of young female fans who gathered around Olympic medalist Kristin Armstrong, and how gracious she acted toward these fans.

It bothers me that officials in this city have no problem of supporting another professional sport two or three weeks out of the year, a sport which unfortunately seems to be dominated by overpaid, glorified, arrogant athletes.

It also bothers me that it all comes down to money. The old story goes that Vikings fans fill hotel rooms while bicycle fans do not. I thought “healthy community” was important to Mankato. I don’t know of a healthier sport for people to watch and pursue than cycling. Apparently “healthy” is only important if it brings in money.

Mankato’s loss is Menomonie’s gain. Lucky them.

No comments: