Friday, July 10, 2009

New words

I like making up new words.

From today: "interspliced." Something woven throughout is interspliced. The real term probably is simply "spliced." But whatever. I like it for my own personal use.

I do have a couple of good verbs:

to flack: to outrun (or outbike, outswim, out-maneuver in some way) someone in the very last stage of a race, after you had previously passed them. This comes from my personal experience in the 10Kato run this year. I'm running faster than ever, which means I was able to play cat-and-mouse with my dentist, Dr. Flack. Keep in mind that I'm only able to keep his pace when he's pushing a stroller with two children, probably 50 to 60 pounds. But that's neither here nor there, right? Anyway, he passed me around Mile 2, but I was able to catch up with him in the last mile as we pounded our way up Glenwood. I was filled with glee: I would finally beat him! However, in the very last stretch, probably 200m, he blasts past me! Grrrrr!
Used in a sentence: In the St. Peter 8K on July 4, I was flacked by a 10-year-old girl with cramps.

to schleck: to pull someone up a difficult climb on a bike. This derives from the fantastic Schleck brothers of Luxembourg, great climbers in the major bike races.
Used in a sentence: I need Becky Davis to schleck me up the hills around Mankato.

No comments: