Friday, February 27, 2009

Bill Holm, R.I.P.

So sad to hear the news yesterday of Bill Holm's passing. He was a true gift to the literature scene, both worldwide and in Minnesota. He was one of those writers who makes you proud to be a Minnesotan so you can claim him as one of your own.

I'd seen him speak only a couple of times, and have been in the same room with him a few more times, and he always made me smile just by his appearance. Icy blue eyes, big build, Santa Claus beard. How could you look at this man--who seemed to step from the page of a Grimm fairy tale--and not smile? Every time he spoke and read, he did so with eloquence and beauty.

I had secretly hoped to one day take advantage of the writing trips to Iceland that he offered every year. I barely knew the man, know nothing of Iceland, but the desire to simply write in his presence was strong. I'm sad that I never got to do that.

My sympathy to his family and friends, those who did know him and were lucky enough to be his friend.

No comments: