Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Back from the North Shore

I just returned from a wonderful couple of days on Minnesota's gorgeous North Shore of Lake Superior. I could go back there again and again and never get bored. I love everything about it: the pines, the massive lake, the cool breeze and fog that rolls off the lake. If I had a money tree, I would move there instantly.

I bought a few books (like I need more books!) but I wanted to support the independent booksellers in Duluth and Grand Marais. Besides, it seemed wholly appropriate to buy "North Woods" type of books and read them while relaxing on the shore. So I bought books by Sigurd Olson, Paul Gruchow, and one of Jim Brandenburg's photo books. Now that I've gotten more into photography, I find myself looking at professional photos in a new light. I wonder where the photographer was when he/she took the picture, what type of lens was used, what shutter speed was used, etc. Then I think, "I'll have to try that." Except with Brandenburg. It's like I could not even come close to doing what he does -- he's in another league, another galaxy, far, far away from me and my abilities! His photos to me will remain beautiful eye candy.

I took more than 200 pictures up there. I found about 40 that are worth tinkering with. I'll post a couple on here.

No comments: