Friday, October 8, 2010

Snails, etc.

Amid the celebrity memoirs (Billy Idol is the latest), it's nice to see there's room in the publishing world for the quiet memoir. This makes me happy.

Here's the latest one I've come across:



It's the story of a woman, who while recovering from an illness, watches a snail that has taken up residence on her nightstand. Wow. It's about watching a snail. I don't think it gets much more quiet than that. I would love to see that pitch and cover letter :)

More here.

What's your favorite quiet memoir?

3 comments:

Kella said...

I think my favorite quiet memoir to date - though it is rowdy at times - is JoAnn Beard's The Boys of My Youth. I also love Jean-Dominique Bauby's The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (more quiet than Ms. Beard's prose, though super turbulent at times). There are others too. Let me mull this over! Congrats also on making NaNoWriMo work for you.

Rachael Hanel said...

Great suggestions, Kella! I've only read one essay of JoAnn Beard's. I've also heard great things about The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

I should have let you know about the NonfictionNow conference. Or maybe you did hear about it. That would have been pretty quick for you to drive up to Iowa City, don't you think?

Rebecca (Becky) Fjelland Davis said...

So true! To see the cover letter for such a "quiet" memoir. Wow.