Sunday, August 31, 2008

Thank you, British Medical Journal

The editors at British Medical Journal have dared to point out what too many people are afraid of saying in this global-warming conversation: Fewer kids, smaller carbon footprint. No kids, really small carbon footprint. Thank you.

Read more here.

As I was doing the laundry one day, I was feeling kind of good about myself because I do three, maybe four, loads of laundry a week. In the summer, I try not to run the dryer at all, prefering to let the clothes dry outside. Then I was thinking, how many loads of laundry a week do parents with kids have to do? How many dishwasher loads? How many dirty diapers? I wondered why no one had been talking about this. Then comes the British Medical Journal article. I don't know really what I want to do with this information, since obviously the U.S. isn't going to become China anytime soon. But I like that it's being pointed out. I've made an active, conscious decision for 14 years to not have children, though global warming hasn't factored into the decision. But I like that it's a byproduct.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good God woman! You've been married for how long and still have not popped one out? Seriously, your womb is drying up! Your biological clock is ticking...tick....tock...tick....tock..