Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Research trip

I've recently returned from my research trip to the Bay Area to investigate further the life of Camilla Hall. I'm pleased with the information I came across. I talked to a good friend of Camilla's from the Berkeley days, and I have the names of three others. Tracking them down may be another story, but I have to try.

I'm pretty excited to begin writing. In a way, I don't know where to start. I think I'll just approach it as I approached my memoir in the beginning: write a series of individual chapters and then link them when I think I have everything I need.

But before that, there's a lot more reading to do. I'm always so eager to start writing and I get impatient. Hopefully I can tell myself that it's OK to take a little time with this and complete ALL the research before getting too far into the writing.

I don't have a ton of writing time, anyway. I thought I was going to take the summer off to write! I guess June ended up being fairly free, but not really, as we threw in a quick road trip to Chicago. The week after that I had a Mentorship residency and a weekend in Duluth. Now I'm staring down a deadline for Capstone Press and I need to make a syllabus for the Bethany comp classes and retool the editing class. Aaaargh!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have quite an interest in Lesbians!

Anonymous said...

I must say that I wish that I had met Camilla Hall. I love researching lesbians!!!

Anonymous said...

Lesbians rule!!! Isn't sad that we can't marry in California anymore?! I wanted to get married! Guess I will move to the Netherlands where they are more accepting. Thanks Rachael for your research!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that the young still have it in them. Back in my day it was not as acceptable as it is today, but we still did it anyway.

Anonymous said...

You should do some research about me and my partner. I have helped many people with their finances.

Anonymous said...

I second my lover's thanks for your research. I just love my Ellen-y-poo!

Anonymous said...

I would really like to write with you again. I certainly enjoyed my time with you. I am thinking about a sequel to my book "My Lesbian Husband" and I thought maybe you could edit it for me and give me some insight because I love your literary style!