Thursday, January 24, 2008

Irritation, Part 2

I'm afraid I'm on a roll now -- watch out! But this is directed toward the media, not any one person in particular.

Two things are bothering me this morning:
1) The new movie, "Meet the Spartans," or whatever it's called. Have you seen previews? It's another one of those movies, a la "Scary Movie," that spoofs recent pop culture and other movies. Why, I ask? Why? A movie like this doesn't even have a plot (or so it seems). It's just a series of clips thrown together. It doesn't take any talent to write it, direct it, or act in it. Movies like this keep coming out because people are seeing them. I wish people would stop going to these types of movies. Is it too much to ask for a good story? Award-winning acting? A movie based on favorite books? A movie that touches us, forces us to ask questions, teaches us something? I'm not saying that every movie has to be heavy and serious. I like fun movies as much as the next person. However, even fun movies can have a plot and theme.

2) A commercial for a minivan or something like that. I don't know -- I was too bothered to pay attention to the actual company. Scene: three children watching "SpongeBob" on the couch. Mom says repeatedly, "C'mon, we have to go." Children don't listen; they are reluctant to turn off the TV. Finally, Mom gets tough -- it's really time to go. Children turn off TV, run as fast as they can to the minivan, grab the remote in the minivan and turn on the TV in the van to "SpongeBob." They missed maybe five seconds of their show. Everyone smiles and laughs. Is it just me, or is this what's fundamentally wrong with families today? What are we teaching our children? That it's not OK to miss even five seconds of your show? What's the worst that could happen if the kids tuned out for a little while. If, in the minivan, they all had a family conversation? Used that driving time for a little interaction?

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I have not seen Meet the Spartans just yet. I'll probably wait for that one to get to the second run theater or to cable. These parody movies can work; Scary Movie and Scary Movie 3 were pretty good (the second one was crap), and there's always Mel Brooks films like Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles. But you're right, a lot of these films aren't very good because they just throw in a lot of random pop culture references without any consciousness of what they are trying to poke fun at or create any narrative cohesion. People often assume that since laughing is easy, making people laugh must be equally effortless, when that's not the case at all. Unfortunately, the lack of effort shows up on screen.

Anonymous said...

Our new car came equipped with a DVD player, we had no choice, but our rule is the trip must be more than 2 hours long for the kids to use it.

You're right - family conversation time has become endangered. And the car is an ideal place for it. I get lots more out of my kids in the car - especially the teenager -- than anywhere else. Something about not looking each other in the eye, maybe, but I think the car is a great place to talk -- to each other, not on cellphones!

My kids tell me that their friends are amazed that we have dinner together as a family, at the table, every night. Sheesh.