Sunday, November 4, 2007

The best day of the year...

Is not my birthday (which is coming up on Nov. 12, by the way). It is today, the day that Daylight Saving Time ends. There's something I love about the evenings that turn dark around 5 p.m. I want to surround myself with coffee, lamplight, and good books. The darkness gives me an excuse to nest. These are the days of soup and blankets, of sweaters and mittens. Soon (hopefully), the days will usher in my favorite season, winter.

Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder is real -- look it up. We hear of the winter SAD, in which people become depressed and have to sit under bright lights until spring arrives. However, there is summer SAD, in which people are depressed in the summer and happy in the winter. Today, I can almost feel something "click" within my mind. I struggle through the heat and humidity with a veil over my mind, and in the past few weeks, that veil has lifted and I've experienced true happiness and joy once again.

2 comments:

Michele said...

I have a disorder? I thought I was just moody because I hate summer.
Your comments on the end of Daylight Saving Time are exactly right.

Rachael Hanel said...

I'm a little sad this time of the year, too, because I know the long daylight hours are coming!