Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Oh, the irony


Saturday, Sept. 29, I attended "Cityceased" at Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis (see next post). I hauled along my camera and snapped some shots.

The next morning, around 8 a.m., the phone rings. It's my brother. He's a gravedigger.

"Whatcha doin'? Are you in bed?" he asks, clearly already having had a cup or two of coffee.

"No, but I just got up."

"I just went past your house. I'm digging at Calvary. I got my new backhoe. I'm wondering if you'd come over and take some pictures."

I perk up. "Sure. I'd be happy to. I'll be there in a few minutes."

So I walked the half-mile to Calvary with my camera and shot some photos of his John Deere tractor and backhoe attachment.

So less than 12 hours after "Cityceased," I found myself at another cemetery photo shoot. A near perfect weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Facebook. I am a gravediggers daughter, and also a gravedigger. I have been mowing lawns for dead people (that's my motto) for almost 20 years. I might pop back here and read your blog from time to time.
Paula- Massachusetts.

Rachael Hanel said...

Nice to meet you! We definitely have to compare stories. Are you my "friend" on Facebook? If not, add me.

Anonymous said...

I will add you. You can also check out my cemetery's web site. http://nwcemetery.googlepages.com/
I'm the treasurer and manual labor.
(I dont have a blogger acct.)